Apsara

He started to run for no reason at all, kept running just because he felt like it, and one day just stopped and decided to go home. Sometimes lack of reason can be very inspiring.

Because I’m no Forrest, I don’t run. Instead, I take walks. More accurately, I took walks. Walking is among the few things I seem to have given up doing.

I grew up in what is known as the Scout area, at a time when the streets were safe at all times. I walked to my kindergarten school almost to the gasoline station by the end of Scout Ybardolaza. I walked to Morato, just to stare at the restaurants my family could never afford. I walked to my best friend’s house near the Kamuning market. I walked to my father’s shop by the Kamuning Road.

In LB, I lived inside the campus. So I walked to my Devcom class every morning, and on to other buildings from the main campus to the Forestry buildings. I walked to the Botanical Garden to write and sometimes swim. I walked to the Grove in wee hours searching for goto and tapsilog.

In Baguio, I stayed near the Session Road. I walked the stretch almost every afternoon just to watch people. I walked the Burnham Park to smoke.

I did most of my walking alone. It’s something none of my friends understand- walking with someone requires too much planning for me. When I walk alone, I just have to walk and let my thoughts flow. At any time, I can turn to whichever direction I choose. If I get lost, I talk to myself kindly and find my way back. I can stop at any point and take a ride instead.

Walking with someone tends to have two possible scenarios for me. One, I think about the detailed route and plan it meticulously I just don’t have time to enjoy the moment. Two, I prohibit myself from thinking and allow my companion to just drag me along. The middle road is much too difficult to imagine.

When dating, I prefer walking to any other activity. It makes me feel in control- I choose the terrain, and I observe my prey in an audition known only to me. When with friends, however, I always like to stay in a familiar place. I don’t have time to figure out the environment, I want all my attention to this special person. I had these all figured out years ago. What’s new to me is this: that when I’m going off to work, I don’t like walking. These two things don’t work well together for me.

I like to walk, especially more recently. I realise I’m tired of thinking and of being on-guard 24-7. I want to go for good old instincts. I want to rest assured that I am not competing. I want to come face-to-face with something and know for sure that this is it.

Apsara. I picked my favourite of the hundred spread all over Amsterdam. I’ve seen less than ten when I decided she’s the one. And though she was special, I did not spare 30 Euros to make her mine.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento